Your Century ride checklist: What do I wear?
Mon, May 8, 2017
When you ride in the BayCare Clinic Century Bayshore to Lakeshore bicycle tour on Saturday, June 3, dress for the occasion.
As you ride through Brown, Kewaunee and Door counties, enjoying the scenic farmscapes, rolling hills and shoreline vistas, you may notice changes in the weather and temperature along Green Bay or Lake Michigan. They can differ sharply from those in the city or inland.
Here are a few tips to make sure you’re prepared for the ride:
- Consider cycling socks. These socks, typically made of wool or polyester, allow your skin to breathe while keeping moisture off your body.
- Arm warmers can be a great option if you know the temperature will change during the ride. They can easily be pulled up or scrunched down to the wrist.
- If rain is forecast, a light rain jacket will provide enough coverage to keep you dry, and can easily be stored in a pocket or in a backpack.
- A cycling jersey can offer cooling fabric, sun protection or insulation for cooler temperatures. If you are registered for the century, you’ll receive a moisture-wicking T-shirt you can wear on the ride.
- Check the weather before leaving for the ride. Any changes can affect what you had planned to wear.
- Check the weather alert signs at each rest stop. The color-coded signs will give you a visual cue to weather conditions.
Regardless of the weather, wear a bike helmet. No matter the style, shape, or weight of the helmet, choose one that fits your head properly. Wearing a helmet is just one step toward safer cycling.
Through Share & Be Aware GB, a campaign to make cycling safer in Green Bay, we urge drivers and cyclists to learn how best to share the roads. Both have a right to the road and must learn to share it safely, especially as cycling continues to surge statewide in popularity as a healthy, fun, and family-friendly activity.
The BayCare Clinic Century Bayshore to Lakeshore is a non-competitive event for participants of all ability levels. It is sponsored by the BayCare Clinic Foundation. Cyclists have three options: 20-, 60-, or 100-mile courses.
Registration is open at baycarecentury.com. The fee is $50 by June 2 and $60 on the day of the ride.
All proceeds from the ride will benefit the BayCare Clinic Foundation, which supports causes and organizations that promote improved health and wellness in northeastern Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
About BayCare Clinic
BayCare Clinic, baycare.net, is the largest physician-owned specialty-care clinic in Northeast Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. With its 100-plus physicians, BayCare Clinic offers expertise in more than 20 specialties, serving clinical locations in 13 regional communities. Based in Green Bay, Wis., BayCare Clinic is a joint partner in Aurora BayCare Medical Center.
About the BayCare Clinic Foundation
BayCare Clinic Foundation is the philanthropic arm of BayCare Clinic, LLP. Its mission is to promote the health and well-being of northeastern Wisconsin residents. BayCare Clinic is the largest physician-owned specialty-care clinic in northeastern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is comprised of more than 100 specialty physicians with expertise in more than 20 specialties. BayCare Clinic physicians have served patients in Green Bay and the surrounding region for more than 30 years.