Aurora BayCare honors research, medical education experts
Wed, Oct 10, 2018
Dr. Diane Mayland of BayCare Clinic Ear, Nose & Throat and Dr. Brian Johnson, chief medical officer of Aurora BayCare Medical Center.
Two providers with close ties to BayCare Clinic were honored Thursday night during Aurora BayCare Medical Center’s 2018 Fall Research and Medical Education Reception.
The event recognizes those who lead innovative research and medical education at Aurora BayCare Medical Center in Green Bay.
Dr. Diane Mayland, a board-certified otolaryngologist with BayCare Clinic Ear, Nose & Throat, was presented the Medical Education Lifetime Achievement Award.
Dr. Vinay Mehta, a board-certified cardiac electrophysiologist with Aurora BayCare Cardiology, was presented the Innovation Award for Research.
Dr. Vinay Mehta of Aurora BayCare Cardiology, center, with clinical research coordinator Alex Albers and nurse practitioner Sara Beno-Chambers.
Others receiving awards included:
- James Napier, Neurology: Educator of the Year
- Neurology: Medical Education Department of the Year
- Nita Jensen, medical education coordinator: Lifetime Achievement Award
- Ubaid Nawaz, Hematology & Oncology: Principal Investigator of the Year
- Mitchell Voss, occupational therapist: Principal Investigator in Clinical Research
- Research support:
- Holly Kaminski, R.Ph.: Pharmacy
- Jessie Lawton, R.Ph.: Pharmacy, Oncology
- Michael Mihailescu, R.Ph.: Pharmacy
- Tiffany Majewski: Pharmacy technical specialist, Oncology
- Katherine Racine, supervisor Histology: Pathology
- Emily Kuenning, histotechnologist: Pathology
- Lola Miller, laboratory assistant II: ACL Lab
- Lisa Tlachac, laboratory assistant II: ACL Lab
- Rebecca Donnay, physical therapist, senior
- Christie Tilkens, M.S.: Clinical research coordinator
- Elle Maricque, B.S. (pending): Senior research intern
- Sean Stevens-Fabry: Post-graduate research intern
Aurora BayCare conducts patient-centered research in two areas: investigator-initiated research and clinical trials.
Investigator-initiated research includes project and programs that Aurora BayCare physicians develop within their special interest area. These include studies in neurology, neurosurgery, sepsis/emergency department, orthopedics/pain management, pulmonology/acute care, oncology, sleep medicine, gastrointestinal health and women’s health.
Numerous clinical trials for various types of cancers have been ongoing at Aurora BayCare, but research has expanded far beyond cancer trials. For example, Aurora BayCare has research options for patients with stroke, acute coronary syndrome (heart) disease, multiple sclerosis, SI-Bone/pelvic joint, knee injuries and more. Patients have access to more than 100 open clinical trials at Aurora BayCare and more than 400 open trials throughout Aurora Health Care.
About BayCare Clinic
BayCare Clinic, baycare.net, is the largest physician-owned specialty-care clinic in Northeast Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. With its 100-plus physicians, BayCare Clinic offers expertise in more than 20 specialties, serving clinical locations in 13 regional communities. Based in Green Bay, Wis., BayCare Clinic is a joint partner in Aurora BayCare Medical Center.
About Aurora BayCare Medical Center
Aurora BayCare Medical Center is a 167-bed, full-service tertiary care hospital located at 2845 Greenbrier Road on Green Bay’s east side. It opened in September 2001 as a joint venture of Aurora Health Care and BayCare Clinic. Aurora BayCare is committed to creating a better way to provide high quality tertiary healthcare, the latest in medical technology and superior service.