Adult neuropsychology is a sub-specialty of neuropsychology and focuses on the connection between adult behavior and brain function.
The multi-disciplinary neuropsychology team at BayCare Clinic includes neuropsychologists and other physicians who specialize in brain function — or the neuropsychological health — of adults.
Our neuropsychologists utilize a variety of testing tools to assess brain function after a brain trauma, following brain surgery, or to understand the neurological origins of cognitive, behavioral and/or emotional changes in the adult brain. Family input is also important in the diagnostic process. Testing is critical to the ongoing management of adult health care, including:
- Identifying subtle indicators leading to early detection and treatment of progressive conditions
- Establishing a baseline for future assessments
- Determining how well the brain is functioning as it performs certain tasks
- Identifying recovery time, progress, and ability to return to normal activities
- Identifying coping strategies for caregivers
- Determining capacity for patient to consent to treatment or to attend to personal affairs
Adult neuropsychologists evaluate brain function related to the following:
- Dementia (including Alzheimer's syndrome)
- Brain injury due to stroke or other trauma
- Progressive neurological conditions such as Lou Gehrig's or Parkinson's disease
- Alcohol and/or other drug use/abuse
- Systemic issues such as heart disease or diabetes
A Holistic Approach
Our adult neuropsychologists at BayCare Clinic will work to develop a program of treatment and support with a patient's network of caregivers — including the referring physician, family members, and possibly others — to provide ongoing care to manage and maintain quality of life over the life-span.
A Team Approach
At BayCare Clinic, our adult neuropsychologists are part of a multi-disciplinary team specializing in the health care needs of adults. This team approach translates to seamless care for individuals and their families in Northeast Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula, including Green Bay, Appleton, and the Fox Cities.
For your convenience, you may request an appointment online.