Five facts about adult hearing loss
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Hearing loss does not solely affect hearing –it also has an impact on a person’s entire life. It’s common too! Hearing loss is the third most common physical condition after arthritis and heart disease. I have compiled five facts one should know about adult hearing loss.
- Approximately 36 million Americans suffer from hearing loss.
- More than half of the people with hearing loss are younger than age 65.
- Untreated hearing loss can affect your ability to understand speech and can negatively impact your social and emotional well-being—hearing impairment can decrease your quality of life.
- Hearing loss is the third most common health problem in the United States.
- 95% of hearing loss is nerve-related, which means that the best treatment is amplification through personal hearing instruments.