Crunch time: Ready for the Century?
Thursday, June 1, 2017
You’ve signed up for the BayCare Clinic Century Bayshore to Lakeshore bike ride.
Maybe you’ve trained regularly for the 100-mile course. Maybe you’ve simply taken your bike down in preparation for the 20-mile course. Whatever your preparation level, keep these tips in mind the night before the big ride:
- Hydrate well and eat a high-carb meal early in the evening. Stay away from greasy or spicy foods.
- Decide what you’re bringing with you. Pack the night before the ride.
- Check your bike. Make sure everything looks and feels fine.
- Pay attention to the forecast and plan accordingly. A light jacket for rain or an extra sports drink for hot weather might be a good call.
- Get plenty of rest. Try for seven to nine hours of sleep if possible.
On the day of the Century:
- Choose proteins or grains for breakfast, such as eggs or oatmeal.
- Check the weather one last time.
- As with any athletic activity, stretch before the ride.
Finally, have fun. Take your time and enjoy the experience and the opportunities the Century offers.
Dr. Jon Henry sees patients in Green Bay and Manitowoc. For appointments, call 920-288-5555 or request one online.