BayCare Clinic Century: Start training now
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
You want to start getting ready for the BayCare Clinic Century Bayshore to Lakeshore ride, but then you look outside. It’s cold. Well, that’s life in Wisconsin.
Here’s how you can start now to be ready for the ride on Saturday, June 3.
- Start riding indoors. Many fitness centers have upright or recumbent bikes. Many also have spin bikes, which replicate the uphill climbs and downhill glides experienced while riding, and spin classes.
- Start gently. Five to 10 minutes at a light to moderate resistance is a good way to get going.
- Ramp it up. Gradually spend more time on the bike and increase the resistance in small increments.
- Cross train. That helps get your entire body ready for riding. After spending time on the bike, do some extra aerobic activity. Walking, jogging, running or working on an elliptical trainer complement the workout you get on the bike.
- Don’t overdo it. Alternate your biking and aerobic workout days with days when you do strength training or stretching. Rest your legs and let them recover.
Source: Aurora BayCare Sports Medicine
Once April arrives, follow our eight-week training calendar. It’ll take you right up to ride day.
The BayCare Clinic Century Bayshore to Lakeshore ride offers scenic 20-, 60- and 100-mile courses through Brown, Kewaunee and Door counties for riders of all ages and skill levels. Registration is open.
The ride is sponsored by the BayCare Clinic Foundation and is part of the BayCare Clinic Bikes fitness and wellness initiative. BayCare Clinic Bikes promotes bicycling as a healthy, family-friendly activity. Efforts are aimed toward increasing bicycling and advocating for bicycling safety throughout northeastern Wisconsin.
All proceeds from the ride will go to the BayCare Clinic Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization which supports causes and organizations that promote improved health and livelihood in northeastern Wisconsin.